Welcome

a space where I will rant about: baseball, fitness training, MMA, comic books, video games, philosophy, politics, society, and general assclownery.
NOTE: I annotate all my lifting as weight x reps x sets, so 200x3x5 would be 200lbs done for three repetitions for five sets.

Monday, July 7, 2008

The Games


So the 2nd Annual Crossfit Games wrapped up yesterday. 4 Workouts in 2 days.

1. 275 # Deadlifts and Burpees. 5 Rounds of 5/10 reps
Deadlifts were easy, unbroken the whole way. First 3 rounds were quick, the last two I had to break up the burpees 5 and 5. My time was 3:17, not bad.

2. Run a 750m course on the side of a steep ass hill. Started off fast then the incline and the soft sand made me feel like I was running in place. The downhill was just craziness, I tried to make up some time and just flew down it, basically out of control but still upright, then up the last incline and finished. I did not like that run. 4:35

3. A strict ass Fran, or Mistress Fran as I called it. 21-15-9 reps of thrusters and chest to bar pullups. Everything unbroken the first round, second round things got ugly, third was just staying alive. Don't know if it was the chest to bar or it being the last event of the day but it sucked. 5:27

4. Squat Clean and Jerk 155# for 30 reps. First 10 or so were fairly tight, the next 15 were a struggle, last 5 I guess I smelled the stables because those came quick. 6:09

Overall I came in 32nd place out of 196 men. Official results

Beyond all the workouts it was awesome getting to meet loads of crossfitters, both the other competitors and the legends of crossfit (Coach, Nicole, Eva, Annie, Adrian, Rob, etc).
Greg from C2 rowers hung with us NY types whenever he was able and Saturday night when I showed up for dinner at Famous Dave's who's sitting at my table? Mike Buergener and Mark Rippetoe. Holy Motherfucking Shit!!!!!!!
I also got to meet up with some old friends, most noticably AllisonNYC (who introduced me to most of the crossfit cool kids) and some people I competed with in Albany.

I can't express how awesome a crossfit competition is, everyone there roots like hell for a person they would die trying to beat. My goal was to finish in the top 40, mission accomplished, that said it only made me hungrier for next year. 364 days and counting.

No comments: